Hawaiian special event
Several Hawaiian Amateur Radio operators will activate the special event station K6K to celebrate ‘King Kamehameha the Great and Hawaii’s Rich History’ on June 11th, between 06:00am HST – (1600z) until 10:00pm HST (0600Z).
Excerpts from a press release by Michael, KH6ML, states [edited]: Amateur Radio Operators will activate special-event station K6K to celebrate King Kamehameha the Great and Hawaii’s rich history. K6K special event station will give HAMS a chance to add Hawaii to their logs to earn WAS or DCXX awards.
Successful radio contacts are eligible to receive a special and inscribed a certificate bearing the full-color rendition of K6K: King Kamehameha Celebration.
After hearing about the cancellation of all King Kamehameha Celebration parade events statewide, Michael Miller – KH6ML , a community emergency coordinator, spoke with amateur radio operators and a few people with the
Commission to see if there was a level of interest to make the event happen. This station is authorized by the King Kamehameha Celebration Commission as an official event.
The Kamehameha Day Holiday was proclaimed by King Kamehameha I’s grand-son, Lot Kapuaiwa – King Kamehameha V, in 1871, followed by an inaugural celebration of events on June 11, 1872. Years later, in 1939, the Commission was formed under the Hawai’i Territorial Legislature.
TO VIEW A SHORT CLIP OF 2020 lei draping and short history, see:
* This is not a contest. The idea is to allow as many operators as possible to reach the contact station operators and learn about King Kamehameha the Great and why he is celebrated in Hawaii.
* All radio operators must operate their stations strictly in accordance with their countries’ or FCC regulations. Any authorized amateur radio frequency may be used.
* Stations should listen for K6K calling “CQ K6K”
* The main modes will be SSB, FM, FT-8, and Winlink. Other Modes may be added.
* QSLS: eQSLs are available via LoTW. NO Paper QSLs.
* CERTIFICATES: Are self-printed (by you) for contacts with our Special Event Station. If you contact our Special Event Station, look up your callsign on the following link and print your own certificate: (Link to follow). Please allow 30 days for all logs to be processed.
For more info see: https://sites.google.com/view/k6khawaii